Our legacy stems back generations. Sloan’s started after William Henderson Sloan (1839-1917) finished his time fighting with the Union Army during the Civil War. He came back home to Monroe County and built a general store on Tellico River in the Ball Play area. William married Elizabeth Mason in 1867 and they had eight children, including Key Anderson Sloan (1877-1955). Key opened a store around 1901 in Gudger, buying the old Sloan homeplace and raising his family there. Key married Bertha Mullins in 1903, and they had 11 children, including William Wallace Sloan, Sr (1911-1986).
Bill Sloan Sr. grew up in Gudger, working with the family. Along with the store, Bill took merchandise into the communities of Monroe and McMinn counties in the “rolling stores”.
Key & Bertha Sloan
Ruby (left), Bertha Mullins Sloan, Bill (bottom left, Elizabeth (center), Sally (right)
Mutt (left), Bill (back), Ruby (center), Elizabeth (right)
Ota Lou, Bill, Mutt, Sally
The Gudger store burned to the ground in 1938 and was rebuilt. It remained a working store, run by Lewis and Sally Sloan Bivens, until the 1970’s.
Bill married Ida Mae Williams (1911-1975), nicknamed Jack, in 1932.
Bill and Jack established a general store in town (Madisonville) in the 1940’s. Bartering was a common practice, trading live chickens and chicken eggs and much more.
Monroe County Courthouse – view from Sloan’s. Bill is the third from the left.
Picture of town taken from Sloan’s front door.
In 1958/59 Bill moved the store to the location on Tellico Rd. where it would remain in operation until Sloan Center was built in 1997.
William W. Sloan Jr. was born in 1938.
Bill Jr. married Barbara Watson (1940 – 2016) in 1963. Bill and Bobbi ran the store for decades.
Bill and Bobbi have 4 children – Russ, Whitney, Matthew, and TK.
And just like that, the 7th generation has begun the tradition of Sloan’s retailing.
ALENE MOSER & VICKI ADDISON
A big part of our history are our wonderful long-termers and friends, like these two – we couldn’t do it without them!